Posted By: Dr. Jason

With Valentines Day coming up, ever wondered what your love affair with pop is doing to your teeth??

There are two specific types of bacteria in our mouths that love sugar! Streptococcus mutans and Lactobacillus. With every sip of sugary drink, these bacteria have a feeding frenzy and go to town on turning the sugar into acid. This acid is what destroys your teeth. Each acid attack lasts for about 20 minutes.

What can you do to reduce these effects on your teeth?

No sipping! If you are going to enjoy a sugary drink, have it in one sitting.  If you are constantly sipping pop or juice throughout the day, this 20 minute acid attack is lasting for much longer.

If you are going to drink pop, rinse your mouth out with water after to help neutralize the acid.  Or better yet, brush your teeth with fluoridated toothpaste to help remineralize your teeth.

Have your pop with a meal and have your last few bites be something neutral in ph like a piece of cheese.

Have some xylitol gum or mints. Xylitol is a natural sweetener derived from plants which helps to prevent tooth decay. These products can be found in the toothpaste aisle.

The best thing you can do is to avoid pop all together, but if your love affair is too strong right now, try one of these tips! Happy Valentines Day!